Monday 1 September 2008

It's An Easy Life? Nah.



Knowing a good few people in bands, and having had the privilege to manage one - I know how hard it is to build up a fan base, juggle other commitments and get the word out there.

So when I come across bands that SEEM to "have it easy", I tend to form preconceptions and have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about them (must be the Northern working class in me?), and after reading about The Big Pink courtesy of Kev on No Pain In Pop's blog, I thought I might have to hold a grudge.

The Big Pink
are Robbie Furze (guitarist for UNKLE amongst other things) and Milo Napoleon Cordell (founder of Merok Records), and when playing live; they're joined by members of Sunn O)), Planet Mu and Sunburned Hand Of The Man - you can kind of see where I'm coming from?

Not in the slightest... within seconds of TOOYOUNGTOLOVE, I realised how foolish I was, and with musical pedigree like that in their ranks - how was it going to be anything less than magnificent?

It got even better once I'd heard She's No Sense, 3:15 of drones, distortion and static held together with a vocal that keeps the song light prevents the whole thing losing it's self in it's own depth.

Also check out:

The Big Pink - Crystal Visions (Zshare)
The Big Pink Myspace

0 Voicemails: